Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Due:    Weekly Practice Journals: Theme: Pranayama & Practice: -How is pranayama taught/practiced in your practice space(s)? What is the purpose of breath work in your practice space? Is breath the "focus"of your practice? Explain why it is, or is not.

Pranayama is mentioned throughout the classes that I attend.  It is taught as ujayi or ocean sounding breath.  Deep long audible inhales followed by the same type of exhales.  They are meant to be linked with our movements, and to make sense with the way we are moving.  I wouldn't say that I believe it is taught, but it is mentioned- I believe it deserves way more attention.  Some classes it may never be spoken about or touched on, which is unacceptable because yoga is arguably just sweaty movements without breath - might as well be at the gym.  The purpose of breath work is always described to link your breath with your neighbor, or the person next to you.  If you believe that they can hear you, try to make the person next to them be able to hear you as well, inspiring others to continue the wave.  So in this sense it's more about reminding others around you to breath because it's hard to hear someone breathing at a different pace than you.  Sometimes the teacher calls the breath as it is linked with the yoga postures, but a lot of the times I feel if you haven't been to a ton of classes or taught- breath is just something that you hear others doing and believe that may be enough.  Breathing is said in class to keep you focused, allow your mind not to wander outside of the studio for this hour.  Nothing is every mentioned about cleansing or the powers of deep long inhales and exhales.  I believe that breath is the focus of my practice when I remember it to be.  Some days I walk into yoga and I am distracted and I'm focused on my body or my big toe that hurts at the moment- or how someone just put their mat entirely too close to mine when there's whole studio to choose from.  When I do focus on my breath though, I love my practice.  It is so much more easeful as well as intentional, my body likes when I breath that way.  I've recently tried to make it my focus, and I like my practice so much more.  It's a choice that I make- it's sad to me how the very thing that keeps us alive goes so unnoticed throughout every other moment of our lives. 

1 comment: