Friday, March 2, 2018

Theme: Yoga as Healing (medicine) -How is yoga seen as a healing practice at your practice space? How is this communicated to you? Is thia part of the class practice? How do you feel after doing yoga?

At the studio I attend, for the most part the healing aspects that are spoken about are mostly directed toward our minds.  The jargon is all leaning toward allowing yourself to relax and not focus on what has come before the practice or what will come after.  It's based on focus and energy, allowing mistakes to be made and using your breath to encourage others around you.  It's nothing like the practices we've had in class which speak on how certain postures can mend us, I'm thinking specifically about the Bikram class.  What is spoken about though is how to not injure yourself while doing yoga.  Softening the joints, being aware of any injuries or tightness in your body.  Stacking the joints right on top of one another is something thats often spoken about, and always if anything ever hurts or is too much for you modify or take child's pose.  The teacher will continue to say these things throughout class, while she's directing our poses and breath.  I feel as though speaking about healing will definitely depend on the teacher, but normally no there aren't conversations about the healing nature of yoga postures.  Modifications are talked about, encouraged to use a block to bring the ground to you if you yourself can't reach the ground.  The largest aspect around the studio I attend is how to not injure yourself by aligning and relaxing your mind for this hour out of your day.  After I've done yoga, I feel absolutely great.  I love being able to notice the difference in my muscles and my body once I've finished a class.  I feel more in my body and self confident actually.  I like the heated room because it feels good to sweat, especially on cold March days like today.  I feel stronger and energized, so happy that I came to class.  It's hard for me to get myself there some days because I feel too tired or maybe just not up to it.  Once I leave the class though I'm ready to fully take on the day.  I have scoliosis and very tight hamstrings because of that, especially in my left leg.  Most people have a preference for which side they like better, or is more flexible and so on.  My favorite is absolutely my right side because I can do everything.  My left side, however couldn't be more different.  Because of the way my back curves my whole left side of my body is out of whack.  It's no noticeable if you just see me in passing, but I notice it.  My feet are even different, balancing on my left side is so hard because my foot is actually more narrow then my right.  Because of this, I feel like I neglect the left side of my body throughout my day subconsciously.  In yoga I don't have that option, which is one of my favorite aspects.  I feel as though yoga aligns me, and gives me the space and time to stretch my left side just as much as my right.  I walk better after a yoga class, I'm able to sit up straighter and I feel like a million bucks.  I went to class this morning, and after writing this I already want to go back... If only it wasn't Nor'Eastering outside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment